To enable Budgets in Tally.ERP 9:
- Go to Gateway of Tally > F11: Features (Accounting Features)
- Set ‘Maintain Budgets and Controls’ to ‘Yes’
Budgets can be created for an individual ledger account, groups of ledger accounts and Cost Centers or for all of them. For example, we can create budgets for traveling, advertisement, operations etc.
To create Budgets:
Specify the ‘Period of Budget’ in ‘From:’ and ‘To:’
- Go to Gateway of Tally > Accounts Info. > Budgets
- Select ‘Create’ > Press ‘Enter’
- Enter budget name in ‘Name’
- Select ‘Primary’ in ‘Under’
1) For Group Budgets:
Say you want to track all expenses; you can create Financial Budget as shown below:
- Set ‘Yes’ under ‘Group’ in ‘Set/ Alter Budgets of’ > Press ‘Enter’
- In ‘Group Budgets’ screen, select the required Group in ‘Account Name’
- Select the appropriate ‘Type of Budget’
- Enter budget ‘Amount’
- Accept the screen
Note: ‘On Closing Balance’ option is used to compare the closing balances of the Accounts with the budgets in the final statements. ‘On Nett Transactions’ is used to monitor the transaction amounts (not the balances) for a specified period.
2) For Ledger Budget
Just as we have created the group ledger, ledger budget can be created as shown.
3) For Cost Centre
- Set ‘Yes’ under ‘Cost Centres’ in ‘Set/ Alter Budgets of’ > Press ‘Enter’
In ‘Cost Centre Budget’ screen, select the required Cost Centres and enter ‘Expenses’ for each Cost Centre ( Income and Closing Balance can also be entered if required)
Altering and Deleting Budget
You can make changes to Budgets as per your requirement. To do these:
- Go to Gateway of Tally > Accounts Info. > Budgets > Alter
To delete budget, press ‘Alt+D’ on the budget alteration screen.
Displaying Budgets and Variances for Groups
Once the required budgets are created, they can be displayed in the new columns in financial statements such as Balance Sheet, Profit & Loss Account etc. Business owners can use this handy feature to compare budgeted figures against the actual figures.
Let’s include the created Group Budgets in Trial Balance and view the variance.
- Go to Gateway of Tally > Display > Trial Balance
- Press ‘Alt+B’ or click on ‘B: Budget Variance’
· On the Variance Analysis screen, select the appropriate Budgets > Press ‘Enter’
Now, the report has columns for Group Budget, Actuals, and Budget Variance as shown below:
Displaying Budgets for Cost Centre
By default, the cost centre report in Tally.ERP 9 automatically displays the values of Budgets and Variance with corresponding actuals based on the last voucher entry date. Tally provides its user an extremely important and useful capability for time period based allocation of budget amount. Hence, if a user changes the time period, say from yearly to quarterly, Tally automatically distributes and allocates the related amount based on the period selected. Hence variance is based on the actual amount and the proportional budget for that time period.
To show this:
- Go to Gateway of Tally > Display > Statements of Accounts > Cost Centres > Category Summary
- Press ‘Alt+B’ and select the required Budget and the report will display budgets and variance as shown below:
Tally.ERP 9 provides a handy option to view the budgets and variance based on month, half-year, quarter, fortnight etc.
To do this:
- Set ‘Yes’ to ‘Show Total Column’ and press ‘Enter’
The budgets and variances based on the selected ‘Column Details’ will be displayed as shown:
Hence, with Tally.ERP 9, making decision for future business planning and getting information on how your funds have been utilized can be done easily with the ability to see variance in the budgets based on user specified time periods.